Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Journey to Mommyhood Part 5

I saw my OB doctors every week at this point and stayed on the terbutaline until I was almost 37 weeks. On March 31 I stopped taking the medicine. I mad it until April 5 when I woke up around 5 am with contractions every 4-8 minutes apart. I didn’t want to wake Eric so I just laid there keeping track of how close they were and waiting for his alarm to go off at 6 am. When I called my OB doctors around 7 am I was told to go to the hospital to be checked to see if this was indeed labor (although I had no doubt). We finished packing up some things and headed to the hospital.

I had decided to try to have a natural birth with no medications. When I arrived at the hospital I was 4 cm dilated and was admitted in labor. I was put on the monitor until they were satisfied that everything looked ok with the baby and then was taken off for almost an hour. However, when I was put back on the monitor they weren’t completely happy with how the baby looked so I had to stay on the monitor in bed just getting up to go to the bathroom. By the afternoon I was still only 4-5 cm dilated and the doctor wanted to break my water. I was not thrilled with this idea but gave in. Oh boy, did the contractions ever get painful (not that they weren’t before…they were just worse). My contractions started coming one on top of the other…like only a minute or less apart. So once again I was given a shot of terbutaline because this is way too close together. It was kind of funny when one nurse was looking for the Pitocin on the IV so she could turn it off. (Nope…sorry no IV Pitocin here just the natural stuff). By 3-4 hours later I only had a little bit of cervix left that she was able to push around the baby’s head. I started pushing. What a relief pushing felt. However, the baby’s head was turned to the side and wasn’t rotating like it should. I had to stop for 30 minutes or so because the doctor had to go to another delivery. The nurse actually let me push on my side when I felt the need since I didn’t have an epidural or any pain medication. Change of shift came and I was still pushing. Then there was a big discussion about the monitor strip. (I’ll spare you the details). William’s baseline heart rate had dropped and was dropping with every contraction. My options were to 1)get an epidural or spinal and go to the Operating Room to try a vacuum and if unsuccessful do a C-section or 2) just do the C-section.

Given the options I had to choose from what would you have done if you were in my shoes?

No comments:

Post a Comment