Monday, August 2, 2010

Journey to Mommyhood (Part 1)

I thought I would start this blog by sharing my pregnancy and childbirth journey. Since it is rather lengthy I will be sharing it in increments.

In August 2009 we found out that we were expecting. We were excited but a little tentative also. You see, we had thought we were going to have a new little one in our home in October 2009 but I ended up being diagnosed with a blighted ovum and having a D&C right before Valentine’s Day because my body was not miscarrying on its own and I was at the 10 weeks “pregnant” point. If you don’t know what a blighted ovum is basically the egg and sperm meet and things begin but do not continue as they should and no embryo ever forms. We had 3 ultrasounds before we had the D&C…just in case the dates were off. This was a difficult time for me. So while I was excited at this new pregnancy, I was also a little on edge.

My first OB appointment was on August 25, 2009. They did the typical first appointment stuff…took my history, asked if I was sure about the dates, drew bloodwork, etc. I received the call a day or two later that I was indeed expecting and the bloodwork looked fine.

The next week I started nursing clinicals as adjunct faculty for a local University. That morning I woke up and didn’t notice anything out of the ordinary until I went to the bathroom. Then I noticed bright red blood. My heart sank. I had to go to clinicals…there was no one to take my place. This was a difficult day for me, to say the least. But I was able to schedule an appointment with my OB the next day for an ultrasound.

Have any of you had first trimester bleeding or other complications with any of your pregnancies?

What medical topics are you most interested in learning more about?

No comments:

Post a Comment